Tuesday 9 October 2012

Back home

I had a fabulous week in Ireland.  It was my first visit, and I do hope it will not be my last.  We were so lucky with the weather - I know Ireland can be very wet, but we only had a couple of very light showers.  It was wonderful to catch up with my sister Pauline again.   Our hosts who owned the cottage we stayed in could not have been kinder and were so generous to us.   The cottage was really nice - all upside down.  The bedrooms and bathroom were downstairs and the living area upstairs.

The cottage
We visited Blarney Castle, but we did not venture up into the tower to kiss the Blarney Stone.  Partly because of the very long queue and it would have been an hour's wait, and also because both Pauline and I have a fear of heights.  We did look up at it and blew a kiss -I wonder if that counts?   Probably not!


Blarney Castle
Looking up at the Blarney Stone -right at the top of the tower!





We also visited Blarney Woollen Mills and various purchases of expensive woollen jackets, etc. were made by us all.

We took a two day trip to County Kerry and stayed overnight in a B and B. in the town of Killarney. The countryside we drove through was spectacular.   We drove part of the "ring of Kerry" up to Ladies View before driving back to the cottage.



I loved the murals on these walls

Beautiful wrought iron window guard

Rose detail of the wrought iron window guard.
Jaunting Car

Ross Castle


Ladies Ring

We didn't see any Leprechaun's
Another day we went to the Waterford Crystal Factory.   Pauline and I walked along by the harbour and into the town whilst her friends visited the factory and made their purchases.

A memorable visit on our last day was made to Cobh where the Titanic sailed from.   Again, Pauline and I walked along the front and visited the shops whilst the others went into the Titanic exhibition.






All in all it was a wonderful week. It was so nice to see my sister again and spend time with her, and to meet her friends and our hosts in Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment so that I know you have visited. I love to hear from you!